Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Intersections

So, in addition to posting the notes I take on my digital design readings, I've decided to dedicate this blog to the investigation of intersections. As a Gallatin Student, this is what I've been trained to do for four years, and will ultimately be challenged to prove my aptitude in during my upcoming (more or less daunting) colloquium in the fall. So, I figured the best use of this blog would be to utilize this skill and apply it to current events, which I've only recently had the opportunity to do this past fall.

This decision was the result of my random thoughts on the social constructions and institutions that we take for granted. Media, education, economy, politics, etc. have become so integrated into our way of thinking that we hardly recognize them anymore. What most intrigues me are the ways in which people manifest the gray areas that reside between the black and white categories we've assigned to business, society, culture...even that small list is a precise example of the way we've thoroughly simplified and compartmentalized every aspect of our lives from an individual to a global scale.

To narrow this down a tad, I think I'll focus on the creative industries. I've finally named my concentration the Innovation and Development in the Creative industries because it encompasses everything I've been studied including film, creative writing, graphic design, screenwriting, photography and fashion design. I've also studied sociology, science and religion, and creative theory, so these will also heavily influence my observations in this blog.

Still, since my studies have largely emphasized the historical perspective, I think I'm going to spin it and look as far into the future as I possibly can, searching for innovations in the creative industries. New concepts, new events, new inventions, new ideas, new movements and happenings. I've always been fascinated by the future and I will take this opportunity to pursue it. Hopefully this will also contribute to my research for one of the novels I am writing, which is set in the future, but more on that later.

As a side note, I think my quest for discovering digital design will fit into this nicely, so I'm not worried about the two aspects of this blog conflicting or getting too convoluted. In my search for creative innovation, I will also be looking for the the cutting edge of digital design.

So, to sum it up, blog themes are:
Intersections
Creative Industries
Arts and Science
The Future

I know, its a lot and quite ambitious, but I think I'm up for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment