So, as I mentioned before, the secondary purpose of this blog is to explore the intersections of art and technology as well as innovations in new media. Well, I'm really excited because I've found a blog that embodies all of these things. TOXEL.com finds the most amazing, cool, creative, innovative things out there from napkin holders to water-propelled flying jet packs and piles them all into one blog. Every time I visit the site, I feel like I'm being sucked into a vortex of the insane and unusual. Talk about intersections, this blog is it!
One really cool thing I was absolutely enthralled by is this thing called light graffiti -
"Light graffiti, also known as light painting is a photographic technique in which exposures are made usually at night or in a darkened room by moving a hand-held light source or by moving the camera."
I found this conceptually intriguing not only because it exploits the scientific process of photography by manipulating the objectivity of the medium from its very source (light), but also because the intangible, fleeting and instantaneous nature of the art directly contrasts with the traditional permanence and physicality of graffiti. On the flipside, capturing the art in a digital medium allows it to transcend the temporal limitations of the physical world, essentially giving it an immortality that traditional graffiti could never achieve. Mindblowing, huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment